Community Resources for Vermonters

The Office of the Health Care Advocate helps Vermonters with health care and health insurance issues. Call them at 800-917-7787 for help with access to care, billing problems, access to health insurance and other issues involving health insurance.

Community Organizations that will help you

Nonprofit private and public organizations were established under the Economic Opportunity Act of 1964 to fight America's War on Poverty. They help people to help themselves in achieving self-sufficiency.

For more information please contact:

Tony Morgan, tony.morgan@ahs.state.vt.us
(802) 241-2454
VT Agency of Human Services
Office of Economic Opportunity
103 South Main Street
Waterbury, VT 05671-1801

or call the local Community Action Agency in your area:

  • Bennington-Rutland Opportunity Council, Inc. (BROC)
    60 Center Street, Rutland, VT 05701
    Linda Rooker, Executive Director (802) 775-0878
    Lrooker175@aol.com (800) 717-2762
    Website: www.broc.org (FAX) (802)775-9949

  • Central Vermont Community Action Council, Inc. (CVCAC)
    195 US Rte 302 - Berlin, Barre, VT 05641
    Hal Cohen, Executive Director (802) 479-1053
    hcohen@cvcac.org (800) 639-1053
    Website: www.cvcac.org (FAX) (802)479-5353

  • Champlain Valley Office of Economic Opportunity, Inc. (CVOEO)
    191 North Street/PO Box 1603, Burlington, VT 05402
    Tim Searles, Executive Director (802) 862-2771
    tsearles@cvoeo.org (800) 287-7971
    Website: www.cvoeo.org (FAX) (802)660-3454

  • North East Kingdom Community Action, Inc. (NEKCA)
    70 Main Street/PO Box 346, Newport, VT 05855
    Paul Denton, Executive Director (802) 334-7316
    pdenton@nekca.org (800) 639-4065
    Website: www.nekca.org (FAX) (802)334-5249

  • Southeastern Vermont Community Action, Inc. (SEVCA)
    91 Buck Drive, Westminster, VT 05158-9618
    Steve Geller, Executive Director (802) 722-4575
    sgeller@sevca.org (800) 464-9951
    Website: www.sevca.org (FAX) (802)722-4509

<back to top>

Health Care

Federally Qualified Health Centers (FQHC)

Federally qualified health centers qualify for enhanced reimbursement from Medicare and Medicaid, as well as other benefits. FQHCs must serve an underserved area or population, offer a sliding fee scale, provide comprehensive services, have an ongoing quality assurance program, and have a governing board of directors.

If you would like more information about a specific health center please call them directly. Each FQHC in Vermont also has a Dental center associated with it which also has a sliding scale for dental care.

  • Community Health Center of Burlington (CHCB) Riverside Site 617 Riverside Avenue Burlington (802) 864-6309

  • additional CHCB site: Safe Harbor Clinic 184 South Winooski Avenue Burlington (802) 860-4310

  • additional CHCB site: Pearl Street Clinic 177 Pearl Street Burlington (802) 652-1080

  • Northern Counties Health Care (NCHC) Caledonia Internal Medicine 185 Sherman Drive St. Johnsbury (802) 748-5174

  • additional NCHC site: Concord Health Center 201 East Main Street Concord (802) 695-2512

  • additional NCHC site: Danville Health Center 26 Cedar Lane Danville (802) 684-2275

  • additional NCHC site: Hardwick Area Health Center 6 High Street Hardwick (802) 472-3300

  • additional NCHC site: Island Pond Health and Dental Center 82 Maple Street Island Pond (802) 743-4300

  • additional NCHC site: Northern Counties Dental Center 296 South Main Street Hardwick (802) 472-2260

  • additional NCHC site: St. Johnsbury Family Health Center 185 Sherman Drive St. Johnsbury (802) 748-5041

  • Northern Tier Center for Health (NoTCH) Alburg Health Center Industrial Park Road Alburg (802) 796-4414

  • additional NoTCH site: Enosburg Health Center 44 Center Street Enosburg (802) 993-5831

  • additional NoTCH site: Richford Health Center 44 Main Street Richford (802) 255-5500

  • additional NoTCH site: Richford Dental Center 53 Main Street Richford (802) 255-5520

  • additional NoTCH site: Swanton Health Center 45 Church Street Swanton (802) 868-2454

  • Community Health Centers of the Rutland Region Brandon Internal Medicine 420 Grove Street Brandon (802) 247-6305

  • additional CHCRR site: Castleton Family Health Center 275 Route 30 North Bomoseen (802) 468-5641

  • additional CHCRR site: Mettowee Valley Health Center 278 Vermont Route 149 West Pawlet (802) 645-0580

  • additional CHCRR site: Grove Street Dental Office 71 Grove Street Rutland (802) 774-5050

  • Little Rivers Health Care (LRHC) Bradford Health Services 437 South Main Street Bradford (802) 222-9317

  • additional LRHC site: Wells River Clinic 65 Main Street Wells River (802) 757-2325

  • additional LRHC site: Valley Health Center 720 Village Road East Corinth (802) 439-5321

  • The Health Center The Health Center 157 Towne Avenue Plainfield (802) 454-8336

  • Lamoille Community Health Services Morrisville Family Health Care 607 Washington Highway Morrisville (802) 888-5639

  • additional LCHS site: Women's Care 439 Washington Highway Morrisville (802) 888-8100

  • additional LCHS site: Stowe Family Medicine 1878 Mountain Road Stowe (802) 253-4853

  • additional LCHS site: Behavioral Medicine 528 Washington Highway Morrisville (802) 888-8320

Rural Health Clinics (RHC)

The Rural Health Clinics are intended to increase primary care services for Medicaid and Medicare patients in rural communities. RHCs can be public, private, or non-profit. The main advantage of RHC status is enhanced reimbursement rates for providing Medicaid and Medicare services in rural areas. RHCs must be located in rural, underserved areas and must use midlevel practitioners.

If you want more information please contact the clinic you want more information about.

  • Springfield Hospital Rockingham Medical Group 18 Old Terrace Bellows Falls (802) 463-9000

  • Cold Hollow Family Practice Cold Hollow Family Practice 84 Water Tower Road, Unit 1 Enosburg Falls (802) 933-6664

  • Mountain Valley Health Center Mountain Valley Health Center 5 Route 11 Londonderry (802) 824-6901

  • Springfield Hospital Ludlow Family Medicine 1 Elm Street Ludlow (802) 228-8867

  • Northeastern Vermont Regional Hospital Corner Medical 182 South Wheelock Road Lyndonville (802) 626-9246

  • Ryder Brook Pediatrics Ryder Brook Pediatrics 1126 Laporte Road Morristown (802) 888-2448

  • North Country Hospital Community Medical Associates 41 Medical Village Drive Newport (802) 334-3504

  • North Country Hospital Family Practice of Newport 81 Medical Village Drive Newport (802) 334-4120

  • North Country Hospital North Country OB/GYN Services 81 Medical Village Drive Newport (802) 334-4110

  • North Country Hospital The Barton Clinic 488 Elm Street Barton (802) 525-3539

  • Newport Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine Newport Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine 121 Medical Village Drive Newport (802) 334-5929

  • Orleans Medical Clinic Orleans Medical Clinic 31 East Street Orleans (802) 754-2220

  • Keeler Bay Family Practice Keeler Bay Family Practice 564 US Route 2 South Hero (802) 372-4687

  • Northeastern Vermont Regional Hospital St. Johnsbury Pediatrics 4 Sherman Drive St. Johnsbury (802) 748-5131

  • Otis Health Care Center Grace Cottage Family Health 185 Grafton Road Townshend (802) 365-7357

  • Otis Health Care Center Grace Cottage Family Practice 1154 Route 30 Townshend (802) 365-4354

  • Mad River Health Center Mad River Health Center 859 Old County Drive Waitsfield (802) 496-3838

  • Arlington Family Practice Arlington Family Practice Church Street Arlington (802) 375-6566

Vermont Coalition of Clinics for the Uninsured

The VCCU clinics are dedicated to providing health care to the uninsured or underinsured whose household incomes fall below 200% of the federal poverty line. Each clinic provides different services.

To find out more about a particular clinic, call or go to their website.

Planned Parenthood of Northern New England

Planned Parenthood is a comprehensive women’s health care provider, educator, and advocate, serving women, men, teens, and families. They accept most insurances as well as have options to pay on a sliding scale based on income.

If you want more information please call the local office or check out their website.

  • Barre 90 Washington Street Barre (802) 476-6696

  • Bennington 140 Hospital Drive, Suite 307 Bennington (802) 442-8166

  • Brattleboro 402 Canal Street Brattleboro (802) 257-0534

  • Burlington 23 Mansfield Avenue Burlington (802) 863-6329

  • Hyde Park Page Building Hyde Park (802) 888-3077

  • Middlebury 102 Court Street Middlebury (802) 388-2765

  • Newport 79 Coventry Street Newport (802) 334-5822

  • Rutland Six Roberts North Rutland (802) 775-2333

  • Springfield 125 Park Street Springfield (802) 885-4701

  • St. Albans 80 Fairfield Street St. Albans (802) 527-1727

  • St. Johnsbury 357 Western Avenue, Suite 101 St. Johnsbury (802) 748-8194

  • Waterbury 55 South Main Street Waterbury (802) 244-5651

  • Williston 183 Talcott Road Williston (802) 879-4800

  • Planned Parenthood Express South Royalton Vermont Law School So. Royalton (866) 476-1321

Ladies First

Ladies First is a health screening program for Vermont women. Ladies First removes financial barriers which prevents many women from being screened for breast and cervical cancer and heart disease. Federally funded through a grant to the Health Department, Ladies First pays for:

  • annual mammograms
  • clinical breast exams
  • pelvic exams
  • cervical Pap tests
  • instruction in breast self-exam
  • cardiovascular disease risk factor (cholesterol, high blood pressure, diabetes) screening.

Services are provided locally, by the woman’s own physician in most cases. Ladies First also pays for repeat mammograms, ultrasounds, biopsies, and colposcopies. Early and regular screening is key to reducing the death rate from cancer and heart disease. Women who are older or have limited income are at higher risk to develop cancer and heart disease, and less likely to be screened for cancer.

Office of Health Care Ombudsman

The Vermont legislature created the Office of Health Care Ombudsman (HCO) in January of 1999. The HCO advocates for individual Vermonters with health care and health insurance issues. We also track and study trends in health care, comment on federal and state health care regulations and recommend needed changes to Vermont's health care policies. Specially trained advocates work at the HCO. They are experienced in dealing with different kinds of health care and health insurance problems. Types of problems the office helps Vermonters with: access to care, billing problems & Access to Health. Our services are free to all Vermonters.

Office of Health Care Ombudsman

PO Box 1367
Burlington, VT 05402
Phone/TTY: 1-800-917-7787
Fax: 802-863-7152

Our office is open Monday through Friday 8:30 to 4:30. Website: http://www.vtlegalaid.org/hco.html

<back to top>

Dental Services

Sliding Scale Dental Clinics:

Below is a list of the Federally Qualified Health Centers in Vermont that offer dental services. All dental services are available on a sliding fee scale to income eligible, uninsured residents earning up to 200% of the federal poverty level and residing in the service area, or at full price for higher income levels. Medicaid, Dr. Dynasaur and private insurance are also accepted. For low income, uninsured community residents with dental emergencies, state general assistance vouchers are accepted. Some of these facilities offer cash discounts if you pay at the time of service.

Community Health Center Burlington, Burlington
(sliding scale available to residents of any town in Chittenden County)
802 652-1050
Community Health Center of the Rutland Region, Rutland
(sliding scale available to residents of any town in Rutland County)
802 774-5050
Northern Counties Health Center, Hardwick
(sliding scale available to residents of the following towns: Albany, Averill, Avery’s Gore, Barnet, Barton, Beecher Falls, Bloomfield, Brownington, Brunswick, East Burke, West Burke, Cabot, Canaan, East Charlestown, West Charlestown, Concord, Craftsbury, Danville, East Haven, Ferdinand, Gilman, Glover, Granby, Greensboro, Groton, Guildhall, Hardwick, Holland, Island Pond, Kirby, Lewis, Lemington, Lunenberg, Lyndonville, Maidstone, Morgan, Newark, Norton, Orleans, Passumpsic, Peacham, Ryegate, Sheffield, St. Johnsbury, Stannard, Sutton, Victory, Walden, Warren’s Gore, Warner’s Grant, Waterford, Westmore, Wheelock, Wolcott, Woodbury)
802 472-2260
Northern Counties Health Center, Island Pond
(sliding scale available to residents of the towns listed under Northern Counties Health Center, Hardwick)
802 723-4306
Richford Dental Center, Richford
(sliding scale available to residents of the following towns: Alburg, Bakersfield, Berkshire, Enosburg, Franklin, Highgate, Isle La Motte, Montgomery, Richford, St Albans, Sheldon, Swanton)
802 255-5520
NOTCH Dental Clinic, Swanton
(sliding fee scale available to residents of the towns listed under Richford Dental Center)
802 868-5551
Dental Unit at Plainfield Health Center, Plainfield
(sliding scale available to residents of the following towns: Cabot, Calais, East Montpelier, Marshfield, Plainfield, Woodbury)
802 454-1047
Community Health Services of Lamoille Valley, Morrisville 802 888-7585
Ludlow Dental Center, Ludlow 802 228-4446

Free Dental Clinics:

  • Brattleboro Walk-In Clinic: Brattleboro - 251-8484
    Tuesdays: 5:30-7pm
    Free basic, primary dental care for people without dental insurance including fillings and simple extractions (no cleanings, root canals, dentures or oral surgery) Currently has waiting list.
  • Safe Harbor Clinic: Burlington - 860-4310
    Free appointments and walk-ins for adults and families experiencing homelessness.
  • Rutland Free Dental Clinic: Rutland - 775-1360
    Free clinic for uninsured adults with income at or below 200% of the federal poverty level.
  • Red Logan Dental Clinic: White River Junction - 295-7573
    Free basic, primary dental care for residents of the Upper Valley who are have no dental insurance and have income below 225% of the federal poverty level. Persons with medical or dental insurance, but with deductibles of $1,000 or more may also be eligible. No care for people making above that level.
  • Vermont State Dental Clinic: White River Junction 296-5598
    Free dental care for people on Medicaid and Dr. Dynasaur. People on VHAP can get vouchers from PATH office (in WRJ - 802 295-8855) to cover some expenses.

Other Dental Clinics:

  • Vermont Tech Dental Hygiene Clinic: Williston - 879-5643
    Comprehensive dental hygiene treatment (including cleanings, x-rays, fluoride, sealants and more) by dental hygiene students. Open to the public.
    Fees: Hygiene = $12; X-rays = $8-20; Sealants = $5 each.

Dental Resources

Emergency Dental Assistance:

After contacting a dentist and making an appointment, you can apply in person for a general assistance voucher at your local Community Action Agency (or at your Economic Services Division District Office (1-800-479-6151) if you live in the Burlington area.)

Vouchers are available to help offset some of the cost for emergency dental procedures (for example: extractions are covered, but not fillings or crowns) at dental clinics or dentist offices. Very low income people with dental emergencies such as pain, bleeding or infection may be eligible for these vouchers. Contact the local Economic Services Division District Office (1-800-479-6151) to determine eligibility.

Health Assistance Program:  847-6984

This program, funded through Fletcher Allen Health Care, the Vermont Coalition of Clinics for the Uninsured and the state of Vermont, provides financial assistance with obtaining ongoing health care, including dental care and dentures, for Vermonters with income up to 400% of the federal poverty level. Call 847-6984 to find out if you are eligible.

Help Paying for Dentures:
The regional Area Agencies on Aging may have some financial assistance for dentures or other dental work: call 1-800-642-5119 to be connected to your local agency.

  • Champlain Valley Agency on Aging: 865-0360
  • Southwestern Vermont Council on Aging: 786-5991
  • Area Agency on Aging for Northeastern VT: 748-5182
  • Council on Aging for Southeastern VT: 885-2655
  • Central VT Council on Aging: 479-0531

Ottauquechee Health Foundation:  457-4188
Good Neighbor Grant available to help pay for dental care for persons in financial need who reside in one of these towns: Barnard, Bridgewater, Hartland, Killington, Plymouth, Pomfret, Reading, Woodstock or the Village of Quechee.

Vermont Office of the Health Care Ombudsman advocates for Vermonters with health care and health insurance issues. Contact them directly at: 1-800-917-7787 if you need help with: access to care, billing problems, access to health insurance or other health care issues, including dental care.

Food Assistance

Vermont Foodbank and Partner Food shelfs

The mission of the Vermont Foodbank is to gather and share quality food and nurture partnerships that will end hunger in Vermont. The Vermont food bank helps to distribute food to food shelves as well as other programs to make sure Vermonters are getting nutrional quality food around the state. A food shelf is a local, non-profit community agency that directly provides bags or boxes of food to low income people in its area for home preparation and consumption. A food shelf may obtain food from the Foodbank, from individual donations in its community, and through wholesale and/or retail purchase.

Phone: 802-476-3341
Toll free: 800-585-2265
Fax: 802-476-0319
Email: kcrowningshield@secondharvest.org

Mailing Address: Vermont Foodbank, P.O. Box 254, South Barre, VT 05670

Hours: 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

For a list of food shelves and organizations in your county go to: http://www.vtfoodbank.org/partners/

<back to top>

Housing Assistance

Vermont State Housing Authority

VSHA has the distinction of being the first statewide housing authority in the nation. Throughout our history, we have aggressively and compassionately pursued opportunities to provide and make housing more accessible and affordable for Vermonters. Vermont State Housing Authority does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed or religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify, ancestry or place of birth, age, U.S. Military Veteran status, familial status, marital status, disability, HIV status, or because income is derived in whole or in part from public assistance in the admission or access to, or treatment or employment in, its programs and activities. VSHA is committed to equal housing and employment opportunity and will consider reasonable accommodations upon request. Free interpreter services are available. Please tell us if you need an interpreter or other accommodation.

Check out the: Directory of Affordable Rental Housing (DoARH) or for more information email: contact@vsha.org

<back to top>

Fuel Assistance

Vermont's Seasonal Fuel Assistance Program

Fuel Assistance can help to pay part of your home heating bills. You might be eligible for fuel assistance whether you:

  • Own your home or rent
  • Pay for your heat directly or it's included in your rent
  • Rent a room in someone else's home
  • Live in public, subsidized, or Section 8 housing AND your rent includes the cost of heat

The best way to find out if you are eligible for assistance is to apply.

<back to top>

email us or call us with your questions at 1-866-482-4723
2 Spring Street, Montpelier VT, 05602